First of all, we should not worry about Colic Pain in Babies too much as infantile colic is a self-limiting condition but it may be the cause of anxiety for the parents.
When an otherwise healthy and well-fed infant has bouts of inconsolable crying for more than 3 hrs in a day, more than 3 days per week and persists for longer than 3 weeks, it is called an Infantile Colic.
It usually starts at around 1 month of age and resolves by around 3 months of age but sometimes it may persist up to 6 months of age. It usually starts in the evening.
How to Know if Your Baby has Colic Pain?
Your Baby has Colic Pain if the baby :
- Starts crying usually in the evening or at the same time every day
- There is no obvious reason
- High pitched cry- more like a scream
- May try to remain in a flexed position
- Face is flushed
- You aren’t able to soothe the baby by any means but sometimes in many cases, I have seen in my clinic that when the baby is taken over the shoulder and pressed upon the belly, the child becomes quite
- Sometimes the baby passes gas and gets relief also
Possible Causes of Colic Pain in Babies
The possible causes of Colic Pain in babies are :
- The muscles of the stomach and intestines of the baby are growing, so, they often undergo spasm.
- Alteration of fecal microflora (bacteria)
- Intolerance to Lactose present in milk
- Increased hormone (Serotonin) secretion
- Maternal smoking
How to Treat Colic Pain in Babies?
First of all, we have to exclude all other causes of excessive crying in the infant and then, counseling and reassurance of the parents.
If the infant is well thriving with normal urination and passage of normal stool and there is no recurrent vomiting then the diagnosis is usually infantile colic but if the infant is looking sick, then other causes must be searched. A thorough history and physical examination must be done by the doctor to rule out any physical or surgical causes.
Simethicone is sometimes effective but may not be effective always. Dicyclomine is contraindicated.
Probiotics Lactobacillus Reuteri is also effective to some extent in breastfed infants. The hydrolyzed formula may be tried in formula-fed infants.
Sometimes reducing dietary allergens in a mother’s diet may be helpful.
Thank you for reading this article, dive into other amazing articles on our Blog and make sure to Subscribe to never miss an important update and articles.
Also, read Why you should Balance your Sleep and Diet.